The name of the blog I read was titled "So You Want to Teach". This blog is written by Maria Rainier and her blog can be found at:
http://www.soyouwanttoteach.com/planning-for-technical-difficulties-knowing-your-backup-options/.
Maria Rainier is a freelance writer and a "blog junkie". She has been researching different physical therapy assistant schools and blogs about student life. Other than blogging, she spends her time square-food gardening, swimming, and avoiding her computer.
I selected to read this blog first because of it's title, "So You Want to Teach". The title itself made me think it is one for new teachers. Her posting on January 10, 2011 titled "Plan for Technical Difficulties-Knowing Your Backup Options" made me think this was important to write about because we are all going to need a back up plan at some point in our careers as teachers.
In her blog that day, she started by discussing how at some schools many teachers have to share the same resources. With heavy use and sometimes abuse, computers and white boards might not work as the lesson was planned. A partial technology failure, she continues, such as a few computers not working, does not mean the teacher is on a sinking ship. A lesson plan can be quickly adjusted with a partial technology failure. Having some students work together in groups is an easy fix. But, if a full technology failure occurs, a teacher has to respond quickly. She says the prepared teacher should have complete backup plans in order to save the day. Some of the backup plans could include photocopying web pages students were going to find online, create skits, or even have a specific writing assignment planned. As long as the students know their work will be assessed, she says they will make a good effort.
I think backup plans are very important for teachers and especially new teachers. We all know there is the possibility of technology failure. Do we all plan for it? As a new teacher, I am going to have a backup plan for lessons that include the use of technology. For example, if I am teaching a lesson using Excel, a backup plan could be arranging students into a square and give them cell names, such as B4. I could continue the class discussing spreadsheets and ask them to write how they could use them in their everyday life.
Rob,
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a great blog to follow. The advice written in it is absolutely true! There is nothing ever wrong with being over-prepared for a lesson. The first day that I taught my Computer Applications courses this semester, I had planned for my students to visit a website I had created. On the website, the students were to find a questionnaire, print it, and fill it out. Once class began, only about 80% of my students were able to view the website I had created. Luckily, I had printed out 20 copies of the student questionnaire to pass out in case of problems like that one!
I think this topic is extremely pertinent to business educators, as we tend to use technology more than our other colleagues. Definitely something to think about as we create future lesson plans.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for finding this blog, Rob. It is great to be reminded that we need a back up plan for out technology. I liked the ideas presented, such as making sure to print out copies of the web sites and have students create a skit from the info, if the computers are down. It is a great idea to get the kids up and moving also. This blog is making me think about having some back up work available, in case the computers are down in my Computer Applications class. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteYes! Having a back-up plan is vital to making sure class runs smoothly. Sarah, way to think ahead!
ReplyDelete