The information in the article relates to our class discussion on assessments through the use of assessing students in ways other than "bubble testing". As a parent, I have seen through my daughter's eyes many teachers teach for the PSSA's. The allowance of critical thinking sometimes seems diminished in some of my daughter's classes as a result of teaching for the bubble tests. But not all learners fill in the bubbles the same way. That is to say, all learners have different learning styles and we should provide a better way of assessing. Bubble testing is not the only way to make an accurate determination of student learning.
Assessment 2.0 is an innovative way of tracking the learning progress of students. This type of assessment will be an authentic assessment of student's higher learning ability in real time. It will be a better way of determining if students are ready to enter secondary education. Instead of bubbles, Assessment 2.0 will allow teachers to become more creative with planning and assessing. The assessments will give immediate feedback to teachers, students, and parents.
I support the idea of Common Core Standards in our country. In order to improve learning throughout the country, common standards should be implemented in order to determine how the learning progress of students as a whole. However, I am not sure if all states will be in complete agreement with all parts of the standards.
Its difficult to predict if Common Core Standards will be both valid and reliable to "all" students. But it is my belief new standards of assessing are an improvement to bubbles and are necessary. Will there be a margin of error somewhere in the standards? Possibly. It is difficult to determine that now, but it will be interesting to see how learning increases after the implementation of the standards.
I think Assessment 2.0 will enhance Business Education classes I teach. I see the Assessment 2.0 finding its way into other classes as well because it appears to be a better way for teachers to make the connection to the content. As a teacher, I want to make the connection clear and concise for all students to grasp ideas. Assessment 2.0 will help me think more about the outcome of a lesson and help provide me with tools and ideas to create a better lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment