Saturday, April 9, 2011

Online Learning for High School Students

Mr. Stager brings to light some good points about online learning for high school students.  I too agree that given the right project, topic and environment students can be very interested in learning.  Also, online learning could be an alternative to some classrooms given the simple fact that school districts will be soon forced to make deep cuts in their budgets.

Mr. Stager continues to speak of how his online learning teaches students to use his classes as a collaboration tool instead of taking mundane tests.  He suggests this is type of collaboration provides more social interaction than classroom interaction.  This is where I am going to part ways with Mr. Stager's views of online learning for several reasons.

The first reason I disagree with online learning for high school students is the lack of face-to-face interaction between students.  These are very important growing years for high school students.  The traditional school and classroom fosters the interaction necessary for students to grow and learn some of the social norms expected from society.  If we looked at online learning for high school students in it's extreme form, all students would learn from home, there would be very little face-to-face contact with other students, and students would not be able to learn the "soft skills" that already seem to be lacking today.

The second reason I disagree with Mr. Stager's online classes is the lack of interaction with the teacher.  I believe students need immediate face-to-face feedback on classroom discussions.  Face-to-face teaching is the single most important aspect in students from kindergarten through high school. Teachers can look at the face of a students and many times see learning taking place or the face that still has many questions. It is at this time the teacher can provide additional information for those who seem unsure.  Also, I do not believe online classes provide for the basics of learning.  For example, do the online classes encourage the practice of handwriting skills? I think students should learn and expand their handwriting skills that online classes might be ineffective at providing.

The third reason I disagree with online learning classes for high school students is the lack of structured time.  Attending school, students have to be in certain classes at certain times. Because of the flexibility of taking online classes, I believe high school students will not learn the value of time management.

I believe online classes should be used inside the classroom with a teacher.  Students will need to learn how to attend online classes whether they go to college or enter the workforce with the possibility of taking online classes for their employment. High school should be the place to learn how to attend online classes, not the place to take these classes.

4 comments:

  1. Rob,
    You make some great points and have targeted some of the same things I believe are important in a traditional classroom setting. One comment I would like to make is regarding your statement about handwriting skills.

    Do you know they are not required to teach elementary students in our school district any type of penmenship/cursive writing skills? Nor are they required to teach the students how to read and comprehend anything other than typed or written print.

    So, I guess I wonder, will the traditional classroom totally be exempt from handwriting at some point in time...??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,
    Great points! I especially liked the point about time management skills. I didn't think about putting that in my post, but it is certainly important. How many students do you have who come in late to class consistently? In an online environment, there would be no penalty for that behavior, so in any other area of life they would not expect penalties for lateness!

    What do you think about quality and originality of work in an online environment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your points about losing the face to face interactions of high school. I have always been a shy person myself, and would probably be unable to talk to new people if it weren't for the clubs and activities I participated in during my high school years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob,
    Many good points as I am not sold on the online learning format totally but feel it has advantages for certain types of students. I stated these in my blog such as victims of peer pressure and kids who are also victims of bullying. many have dropped out of school and did not have options for education except GED programs. Which I feel makes them a double victim.

    ReplyDelete