Saturday, March 19, 2011

Peer Review and Evaluation

     Peer review was interesting and filled with value.  I was very interested in seeing how other student teachers are progressing during this semester.  While reviewing another student teacher's video, I was focused on trying to discover techniques the student teacher was providing as well as ideas i could use in my classroom.  While reviewing the video, I was able to witness the student teacher as she interacted with her students on their level.  I am not sure I always do this. This helped me consciously think about teaching students to their level as I am teaching in class.
     As much as I was interested in seeing the progression of other student teachers, I also welcomed the criticism of my peer reviewer.  I wanted to see if my peer reviewer was able to find my faults as I know them and possibly give me ideas on how I could improve. He was able to make suggestions that I will add  to my lesson plans and teaching.  However, as much as I was interested in reviewing another student teacher's video and receiving feedback, I was not looking forward to evaluating the video.  
     Evaluating the teaching of another student teacher was a very difficult job for me.  I found the process of providing constructive criticism was somehow unfair of me knowing my own faults.  Yet, I was able to complete the assignment fairly and during the post video review discussion, I concentrated on the strengths of the student teacher while discussing some weaknesses as they relate to me.
     Even though I thought providing constructive criticism was difficult for me, I believe peer review was very valuable.  Not only do we see the progression of our classmates, we also get a greater understanding of the job of our university supervisor.  I believe by allowing me to become the supervisor for one class period has help me by understanding what the university supervisor is looking for in my teaching.
     The domain assessment contains peer review in order for student teachers get a greater understanding of being a teacher.  It is a way for student teachers to communicate strengths and weaknesses in each other while trying to find ways to help. I have not used peer review in my classroom but I think a great place to use this is in my computer class.  Starting this week, the students will begin to key letters and memos. In order to find errors, I could use peer review for the students to proofread another student's assignment before completion.  Many times a proofreader can find the easiest error to correct before submitting for a grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment